Sunday 28 April 2013

Hurray for questions and doubts!


At Community Life Church we often talk about our walk of faith as being a journey toward Jesus Christ, toward bringing his kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven.  Everyone on this journey is coming from somewhere, and everyone is taking steps forward, sometimes slipping up and then taking more steps.

Some have been on the journey longer than others, some have advice to give to others, but all of us on the journey are learning, asking questions, puzzling over questions, getting answers to some which lead to more questions.

Sometimes people think that Christianity has all the answers, when you “become a Christian”, the expression commonly used, you have arrived.  Even the expression: “become a Christian” suggests arriving at a destination.

Isn’t it interesting that the term used for early followers of Jesus was “The Way”?  It wasn’t “The Place”, it was “The Way” which suggests a journey, not a destination.

Which brings us to the question: which is better, to have all the answers or to have questions, doubts and more questions?  Our modern way of thinking puts a lot of stock in answers: if I have all the answers, then I have arrived.

But if I have arrived, I am not going anywhere, just sitting smugly where I am.  I don’t need much faith if I have the answers, just faith in my answers.

At Community Life Church, we value questions and doubts. Questions and doubts deepen faith.  As I wrestle with questions and doubts, I must dig deeper into faith to continue to believe and press forward on my journey.

So let’s celebrate our questions and doubts! It’s through questions and doubts and digging and persevering and talking with others who are also having questions and doubts that we move forward on our journey and become more useful participants in the Kingdom of God.  Hurray for the questions and doubts!

No comments:

Post a Comment